2009-08-31

Dorian Gray - The Movie

I found something interesting today :)



Dorian Gray will hit theaters on 09.09.09 in the UK, starring Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian in Narnia) as Dorian and Colin Firth (Bridget Jones's Diary, Mamma Mia!)as Lord Wotton.

You remember the play The Picture of Dorian Gray we saw in the ACC, don't you? If not, here's a short summary of the plot (taken from wiki because I'm too lazy to write one myself ;)

When a naïve young Dorian (Ben Barnes) arrives in Victorian London he is swept into a social whirlwind by the charismatic Lord Henry Wotton (Colin Firth), who introduces Dorian to the hedonistic pleasures of the city. Henry’s friend, society artist Basil Hallward (Ben Chaplin) paints a portrait of Dorian to capture the full power of his youthful beauty and when it’s unveiled Dorian makes a flippant pledge: he would give anything to stay as he is in the picture - even his soul.


I think this will be Firth's second movie adaption of a work by Oscar Wilde after The Importance of Being Earnest (it rings a bell, doesn't it?).

I find the movie posters great, so I'll just add the other one, too - it is scarier though. Ben Barnes just has this something here... =)



Naturally, people will mostly watch Dorian Gray because of the cast and not because they've read "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
I know I would haha but we've seen the play at least.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the summer break ;)

EDIT:

OMG, I totally freaked about this trailer I found on YouTube



I wonder how close they kept the script to the original novel and how they designed the set. The last movie set in the Victorian Age I saw was Sweeney Todd and the city looked (for my taste) a bit too computerized.
The trailer reminds me of a mix up of thriller and horror...but I guess that's because the novel itself is written like that?

A scary trailer - but it makes the movie so tempting!

Kommentare:

rip hat gesagt…

Good catch, Sabi - this really looks interesting ... and worth seeing in full length.
Thanks for posting this :-)

Iris hat gesagt…

You're right. The trailer is great and the cast...wow=)But the atmosphere is kind of dark as it was in the theatre, too.
But I definitly think, the movie seems to be worth watching, even in English because we already know the plot. ^^
So maybe a good start in our next ELK-year?
But enjoy your vacation first!!

JessyK. hat gesagt…

The movie really sounds quite thrilling. To my mind, Dorian also seems more fitting than in the theatre play. But I've searched the Internet for the German date of release and didn't find one. Maybe you've got more luck than me...