2007-03-22

50 reasons to love the European Union

If anything, the British are famous (or notorious) for their Euroscepticism. What a pleasant surprise this is then: "50 reasons to love the European Union", presented by the editors of The Independent (a serious and sensible newspaper all along). This link takes you to the bare list, but there is also one where these fifty reasons are explained in a short paragraph of text each.

Additionally, I'd strongly recommend the leading article of today's edition: "A potent symbol of peace and unity."
To top off these hymns of praise, the Independent publishes an article by Denis MacShane, the Labour MP for Rotherham and Minister for Europe until 2005: "Why I am an unashamed enthusiast for Europe".

While you're at it, you might as well find out (maybe it will come to you as soon as you look at it) what the headline of this text is an allusion to. To help you a little, I'll give away this much: It's an allusion to a famous passage in a funny film. The first member of this course who sends me an e-mail with the correct solution wins a prize (a voucher for one of Amberg's bookshops).

Kommentare:

Steffi K. hat gesagt…

I'm very sorry, but I can't open the link "this text". So, which text is it?
Is there somebody else who has got the same problem and can help me?
Thanks in advance.

rip hat gesagt…

Hello Steffi,
This is strange - do the other links work? It's the same link as the last one in the first paragraph.
Anyway, the headline reads: "So, what has Europe ever done for us? Apart from... ".
If you still can't access the article, but are interested in reading it, tell me and I'll mail it to you.
Regards,
rip

Steffi K. hat gesagt…

Hello Mr Ringeisen,
the other links work.
I'll just take the other link to open the text.
Thank you for helping me.

Good luck to all members of the drama group of this course.
Unfortunately, I'm ill and that's why I won't be there this evening.

Have a nice evening.