2005-11-28

Leistungskurs Englisch

‘Tis the Season

Hi everyone!
Some years ago I used to be a student in Peter Ringeisen’s LK. I have to say, I like the idea of calling yourselves ELKs ;)
Just recently, I moved to Chicago. It is a fascinating place and I would like to give you some more insight into my life in the “windy city”.
This last Thursday I experienced my first “Turkey Day”. Thanksgiving really is a BIG holiday here in the United States. In a way it is even more important than Christmas because most people are off work from Thursday through Sunday; and free days are something really precious in the United States. During this long weekend families come together and they are causing enormous traffic! It is the peak travel time of the year: in the last days more than 20 million people flew on US airlines.
We stayed in Chicago and together with some friends we cooked at our place. The turkey, the cranberry sauce, the stuffing, the sweet potatoes and all those other things were really yummy.

Thanksgiving is also the traditional kick-off for the holiday season. There is something special about Christmas time in Chicago: the city hosts the biggest Christmas Market in North America (http://www.christkindlmarket.com). The market is modeled on Nuremberg’s famous Christkindlesmarkt. Although the red-and-white booths are located on Daley Plaza, a square that seems like a canyon in between all the gigantic skyscrapers, standing there, having a cup of mulled wine and smelling roast almonds feels a bit like being home.
Another nice holiday tradition is to go and have a look at the windows of Marshall Field’s (Chicago’s famous warehouse) (http://www.rachelleb.com/002501.html). The sidewalks near the department store are usually choc-a-bloc with hundreds of Chicagoans and tourists who can’t wait to see some fairy tale story acted out by big puppets. This year the story of Cinderella is on display. Have a look at the windows. To be honest, I do not really like the dolls and it took me quite some time to figure out which were the ugly stepsisters and which was Cinderella ;)
I’ll tell you more about Chicago another time. Maybe you want to find out more about some particular topic having to do with Chicago or the USA in general. Just let me know and I’ll try to answer your questions.

I wish you all a great week, Marina

Keine Kommentare: